Yet Another Case Question

Greg Ewing (using news.cis.dfn.de) me at privacy.net
Mon Feb 24 21:44:05 EST 2003

Alex Martelli wrote:
> Case sensitivity does NOT enforce the common coding convention
> you seem to like so much.  Don't you think math.pi IS a constant?
> Yet it's not in ALLCAPS, isn't it?  What about class async_chat
> in module asynchat?  Isn't it a class?  So where are its InitialCaps?
> And what about function AudioDev in module audiodev -- it's a
> function, yet, where is its initialLowerCase...?  We can go on
> finding examples for hours even just withing the Python standard
> library, so what "enforcement" are you TALKING about?!

The Python standard library certainly leaves something
to be desired in the area of uniform naming conventions.
But to me that's an argument for tidying it up, and
documenting a set of conventions for future contributors
to follow -- not for abandoning case-sensitivity.

--
Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept,
University of Canterbury,