Numeric comparison anomaly

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Thu Feb 20 21:24:53 EST 2003

Jim Meyer wrote:

> While I understand that this is the correct behavior for the above
> implementation, I wonder if the implicit question wasn't "Shouldn't
> infinity evaluate to be equal to infinity?"

The answer really depends on what you're using the infinities for.  In
transfinite cardinals, you can easily talk about "an infinity" that is
larger than "another infinity."

In limit theory, "infinity" just means "the limit does not exist in that
the value increases (or decreases) without bound."  Infinity isn't a
number, so talking about it equally another infinity is getting into a
problem zone.

/  \ Success and failure are equally disastrous.
\__/ Tennessee Williams
    Polly Wanna Cracka? / http://www.pollywannacracka.com/
 The Internet resource for interracial relationships.