Windows porting questions

Laura Creighton lac at strakt.com
Sat Feb 15 17:29:06 EST 2003

>* Is Py2EXE really the best approach for dumbing down the Windows
>installation process? If not, then what other approach would let me make
>a hunk of Python code, plus Python and 3rd party modules, easy to install
>and run for the average person's computer-illiterate great-aunt?

The other option, for packaging things is the McMillan Installer.
http://www.mcmillan-inc.com/install1.html

(There may,of course, be more).

>* And, what's the best cross-platform GUI toolbox for Python programmers.
>By 'best', I mean things like:
>  - well documented
>  - not assuming TCL knowledge
>  - doesn't need 95 lines of code or weird abstractions just to open up
>    a window
>  - approachable and simple enough for newcomers, but more advanced
>    features available once the programmer is more up to speed
>I've thought of using FLTK, with the pyFLTK bindings, but can all this be
>wrapped by Py2EXE?

Tkinter seems to fit the bill.  But it is not as 'cool looking' as
you may require.  The nice thing is that is comes standard with
Python, so you don't have to worry much about making sure your users
have it.  Also it depends on what you want in 'advanced features'.
Tkinter doesn't have a lot.

Documentation here:
http://www.pythonware.com/library/an-introduction-to-tkinter.htm

Around here we like PyQt a lot.  The wxWindows users seems pleased
as punch with their gui kit as well.  You have to take them out and
try them a bit and see what fits your personal style.

Good luck,
Laura Creighton