python in mac os x 10.2

David Eppstein eppstein at ics.uci.edu
Tue Feb 4 10:50:43 EST 2003

In article <Pine.OSX.4.53.0302040609370.17669 at whitaker>,
 jeff whitaker <jsw at cdc.noaa.gov> wrote:

> The answer is no. The python2.2 provided by apple is woefully inadequate -
> there's no libpython for one thing, and many of the standard library
> modules are not built.

The missing modules can be installed in /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/

The python2.2 provided by Apple is perfectly capable of running
standalone native-interface Aqua applications (via pyobjc, also
installable in site-packages), so from my point of view is completely
adequate.  Any other python used for this purpose would have to be
packaged as part of the application (don't want to make the user go
through additional install procedures) so would lead to additional bloat
in application size.

--
David Eppstein       UC Irvine Dept. of Information & Computer Science
eppstein at ics.uci.edu http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/