PEP 308: A PEP Writer's Experience - CON

Aahz aahz at
Sat Feb 8 23:45:39 CET 2003

In article <mailman.1044728061.20169.python-list at>,
Dave Brueck  <dave at> wrote:
>On Sat, 8 Feb 2003, Aahz wrote:
>> It introduces more parsing overhead in human readability than any change
>> since list comprehensions, and it introduces more semantic/syntactic
>> overhead in human readability than generators.  (I'm still deeply unhappy
>> about losing the fight to add a keyword to the front of generators.)
>How can you possibly substantiate that statement? There's no metric for
>"parsing overhead in human readability". I can just as easily say it adds
>very little overhead because it doesn't overload the meaning of the
>keywords used.

Michael Chermside claimed, "Really... there's no new conceptual
overhead..."  I made a counter-claim.  T'ain't possible to refute
Aahz (aahz at           <*>

Register for PyCon now!