PEP 308: A PEP Writer's Experience - PRO

Andrew Koenig ark at
Mon Feb 10 15:01:22 CET 2003

Tim> I used to buy that, but I'm having a harder time now.  I mean the
Tim> "by coincidence" part, not the "if ... it breaks" part.  As I
Tim> said, there are over 100 uses of and/or in the standard library
Tim> now, all I looked at were obviously safe at a glance, and I have
Tim> yet to find real code in the library where something stronger
Tim> than and/or would actually help.

I'm not worried about the standard-library authors misusing the
idiom.  I'm worried about ordinary programmers reading such code
and failing to realize that the idiom doesn't work all the time.

Andrew Koenig, ark at,