Python's 8-bit cleanness deprecated?

Francois Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Wed Feb 5 10:30:04 EST 2003

[Jeff Epler]

> > Is there any decent editor supporting utf-8?

> depends what you think of as decent.  vim can do it (not sure about bidi
> support).

Someone recently told me that `vim' can do right to left.  I do not know
about mixed bi-directionality, however, nor how `vim' interacts with
Unicode fonts.  My guess would be that it does not, and rather relies on
console drivers in UTF-8 mode or such.  The truth is that I do not know.

> emacs can do it (at least with mule, should include bidi).

Emacs has incomplete kludges for supporting UTF-8 with proper fonts, not
everything is supported.  However, things like Latin-1 expressed as UTF-8
should work without much problems (yet a few might remain).  All this is
in the long process of being retought and rewritten, so far that I know.

> You could probably make idle do it (no bidi support).

Idle uses Tk, and probably much depends on Unicode support in Tk.

There is an ambitious and impressive project called Pango, which sounds
quite promising, bringing a comprehensive and competent support for a
lot of languages scripts to GTK.  It might be the best long term bet.