python + sapdb = (-:

Daniel Dittmar daniel.dittmar at sap.com
Tue Feb 25 05:09:33 EST 2003

Andrew Dalke wrote:
> Does SAPdb store large objects?  As far as I could tell from the docs,
> there's
> neither BLOB nor CLOB support.  I need to store multi-megabyte strings
> and retrieve portions at a time through substr.

This is the column type LONG: LONG ASCII and LONG UNICODE for text and LONG
BYTE for binary data. The python interface returns a stream object for these
columns so that they can be read without loading the whole data into memory.
The network protocol allows to skip parts of the stream, but this isn't
available in the Python interface yet.

> There also doesn't appear to be support for any sort of cartridge
> support -- the ability to add my own data types and functions in
> the server and even have them work with the optimizer.

User defined functions and the ability to create an index using them is
currently being implemented.

Daniel