greed (was)

Delaney, Timothy C (Timothy) tdelaney at avaya.com
Thu Feb 6 23:44:45 EST 2003

> From: Brandon Van Every [mailto:vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com]
>
> Delaney, Timothy C (Timothy) wrote:
> >
> > OTOH, my home machine (also Win2K Pro) has been remarkably stable
> > until the latest Windows critical updates ... or was it the new 4in1
> > drivers ... or maybe the new Highpoint 370 driver ... I just rebuilt
> > my home machine - it was getting too cluttered - and some combo of
> > the latest drivers, service packs, etc has caused a few bluescreens
> > after windows update was run, etc ...
>
> If "Power User" means churning all your HW and drivers I'm
> certainly not a
> power user.  I treat driver installs for major HW components as major
> potentials for disaster.  That is to say, I image the drive
> before making the change.  And I consider any major change to IE a
> "driver."

You might have noticed the term "rebuild". That is "rebuild from scratch". And believe me - you're not the only person who images their drive before doing major changes. Some of us also keep our operating systems on a different drive to our data, *and* perform backups. *Shock*.

> I've learned to trust the MS patches though.  They haven't screwed me yet.

Well, I can definitely say they've screwed me before. And I believe a lot of people have been screwed over the recent patch that MS has finally recalled.

Tim Delaney