unicode filenames

David Eppstein eppstein at ics.uci.edu
Mon Feb 17 01:28:05 EST 2003

In article <3E5006CB.FB5A1D06 at alcyone.com>,
 Erik Max Francis <max at alcyone.com> wrote:

> Piet van Oostrum wrote:
> > On Mac OS X, it is a bit more complicated. First cat will indeed
> > show the unicode (utf-8) contents of a file, but ls won't display
> > filenames with non-ASCII characters right. At least not in 10.1.5.
> > Maybe 10.2 does it better. Like if my filename is "â,¬200", ls will
> > display "???200".
>
> This is ls-specific behavior, and has nothing to do with what the
> filename actually is.

Specifically, ls will do this by default when output is to a terminal.
Probably on OS X this behavior should be removed.  Anyway, I have in my
.cshrc the line

alias ls 'ls -v'

which prevents the question mark replacement from happening.

--
David Eppstein       UC Irvine Dept. of Information & Computer Science
eppstein at ics.uci.edu http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/