PEP 308 vote type (was Re: Update to PEP308: if-then-else expression)

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Wed Feb 12 18:45:52 EST 2003

Laura Creighton wrote:

[restoring attributions ONCE AGAIN]
> Erik Max Francis wrote:
>
> > In your case, you'd probably want to mark "do nothing" and `if C: x
> > else: y' (one of the options), and nothing else.  That way, you
> > express
> > that you want no change, but would accept that particular form if it
> > cam
> > down to it.
>
> Max, are you telling me that if everybody voted 'their favourite,
> one other, and do nothing', therefore making 'do nothing' the top
> vote getter, you would be pleased with the outcome, and consider it
> fair?

Since I don't see myself writing that in the above paragraph, I'd have
to say no, I'm not telling you any such thing.

> Me, I think you have just shot your side in the foot.

Reinterpreting my comments in your favor and then condemning me for a
claim I've never made is I believe what's called the "strawman argument
fallacy."

/  \ You cannot step into the same river once.
\__/ Cratylus
    Python chess module / http://www.alcyone.com/pyos/chess/
 A chess game adjudicator in Python.