where python is slower?

holger krekel pyth at devel.trillke.net
Wed Feb 5 08:19:58 EST 2003

Enrique Palomo wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> At job, i must work with great size text files (up to 2 Gb)
> I use python cause of its facility to work with strings.
> But python is slower than others programming languages.

In order to help you, you need to provide more context information
and actual *code snippets* that you find too slow.

> It´s not, by the moment, a big problem, but i would like to speed up the
> code with C.

Possible but probably not neccessary.

> I would like to know where python is slower, reading files, writing, string
> manipulation...

Only in rare cases is Input/Output like reading/writing files a problem.
String Manipulation is a first class candidate but we really need
code snippets to check.

> I have try with psyco and the results are unpredictable everytime i run the
> script.

That step number 3.  We are at step 1: problem description and code.

    holger