3D graphics programmers using Python?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Feb 6 22:04:54 EST 2003

Jp Calderone wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 08:01:48PM +0000, Brandon Van Every wrote:
> > Nick Vargish wrote:
> > >
> > > BTW, what gains do you get from C++? If performance is so crucial,
> > > wouldn't you use pure C?
> >
> > C is not "pure" and has no advantages over C++.
>
>   What "pure" means, I have no idea,

Actually, it means "only" in this case, and therefore Nick's question
is valid and still unanswered.

> but many people will disagree that C++
> is objectively better than C for all tasks.  Luckily, c.l.py is the wrong
> place for a C vs C++ flamewar :)

True, but it is often the place for discussions of simplicity in design
and using the right language for the task.  In that light, I'd like to
argue that the use of C++ is practically never the right choice, as one
could always more effectively use C (for those cases where performance
or closeness-to-hardware requires it) or Python (for all else).  I
rarely resort to languages other than Python now, but when I do,
and the goal is one of those just mentioned, I would argue that using
anything more complicated than C would be a waste of time.

In short, for me, Python is the language which, when used in combination
with appropriate (i.e. sparse) amounts of C, makes C++ completely valueless.

-Peter