Python/Java integration (Jython)

Ganesan R rganesan at myrealbox.com
Thu Feb 20 06:06:38 EST 2003

> 1. Has anyone of you worked with Jython? What are your opinions on it?

We use Jython a lot in our application. It's an excellent scripting tool for
Java.

> 2. Is Jython considered being of "production" quality, ie can I safely
> integrate it into the project without worrying about it seriously affecting
> the stability of the project as a whole?

Certainly. We have not run into a single Jython related issue in our
project.

> 3. I would like to be able to execute a Python script from the Java
> application, and have that script create java object and call java methods.
> Would this be feasible? Can the called Python script execute code residing
> in the calling Java application?

Yes, yes and yes. We do this all the time. The only difference is that our
scripts are written before hand; but there is nothing preventing you
from generating the scripts on the fly.

There is also a jython-users mailing list. The authors provide excellent
support on the list as well as on this newsgroup. Go for it.

Ganesan

--
Ganesan R