PEP 308: A PEP Writer's Experience - CON

Andrew Dalke adalke at
Mon Feb 10 09:45:31 CET 2003

Carlos Ribeiro:
> As for the negative side - can
> you add print statements (I mean, easily!) to listcomps or lambdas?

No, and that is a problem with listcomps.

I don't write lambdas.

> While talking about lambdas, even old-style Python constructs such as
> filter(), and reduce() may be hard to debug.

I rarely use those functions.  I don't usually find functional forms all
easy to understand.  Of those, I used to use map() the most, and except when
I want performance I now use a list comp.  I almost never used filter() but
I do use the 'if' part of a list comp somewhat frequently.

                    dalke at