Python for small systems (ucLinux)

David Brown david at no.westcontrol.spam.com
Wed Feb 12 08:54:04 EST 2003

I am going to be writing an application that will run on a ucLinux system.
It works mostly like a real Linux system (except there is no MMU, meaning no
virtual memory and no protection between process' memory areas), but is a
lot more limited in resources compared to most Linux systems - perhaps 4 MB
Flash and 8 MB Ram in total.  Does anyone know of projects using python in
such limited systems?  Obviously I'll be looking for a limited and cut-down
version of python - I'll only want a tiny fraction of the available
libraries, and will not need to handle source code interpretation or
compilation - I would generate .pyc compiled files on a normal Linux system.
Basically, what I need is the python byte-code interpreter, along with a few
critical libraries.

Since the alternative (write the app in C/C++) will undoutably take more
time and effort than writing the app in python, I am happy to work on such a
system, rather than expecting to find a complete, ready-to-run package, but
I would much prefer to find out about existing efforts and opinions as to
how feasable this is before wading in myself.

--
David

"I love deadlines.  I love the whooshing noise they make as they go past."
Douglas Adams