Can I locate the source tree from from within the interpreter?

Michael Hudson mwh at
Fri Feb 14 14:54:12 CET 2003

Skip Montanaro <skip at> writes:

> Is there a way to locate the source tree used to build an installed
> Python interpreter?

As Thomas says, gdb knows, so there must be some way of finding out
:-) Unless the executable's been stripped, of course.  In that case
I'm pretty sure you're out of luck.

  First of all, email me your AOL password as a security measure. You
  may find that won't be able to connect to the 'net for a while. This
  is normal. The next thing to do is turn your computer upside down
  and shake it to reboot it.                     -- Darren Tucker, asr