Python's 8-bit cleanness deprecated?

John Roth johnroth at
Fri Feb 7 22:25:54 CET 2003

"Roman Suzi" <rnd at> wrote in message
news:mailman.1044297249.12820.python-list at
> I've tryed vesrion 2.3a of Python and have been surprised by the
> warning:
> DeprecationWarning: Non-ASCII character '\xf7', but no
> encoding
> Does it mean, that all that Python software which is not in ASCII will
> time give such warning? (Thus probably filling up web-server logs or
> surprising users (like Perl/C libs do when they don't know current
> I think it's madness... There must be other ways to deal with it. I
> agree that for correct operation IDLE is demanding correct encoding
> (and nonetheless workis incorrectly!), but plain scripts should be
> 8-bit clean, without any conditions! (Luckily, it's alpha version, so
> nothing really changed yet.)
> Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi

After thinking about this for a few days, it suddenly occured to me
that there may be a very obscure method in this madness. That is, by
restricting python source to 7-bit ascii unless otherwise declared,
it opens the way to migrate to UTF-8 input. This, in turn, would
solve most of the character set problems in one fell swoop.

John Roth