compiling...

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Mon Feb 3 11:12:08 EST 2003

Anders J. Munch wrote:

> "Chris Gonnerman" <chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net> wrote:
>> You don't have a Microsoft C compiler.  The distutils
>> (invoked by the setup.py you mention) by default
>> assume you are using MS Visual C.
>
> Strange assumption.
>
> 'in-the-face-of-ambiguity'-well-you-know-the-rest-ly y'rs, Anders

If this is a criticism of the distutils' design choice, I
want to express my disagreement with it.  The distutils
default to the same compiler that is used to build the
standard Python distribution on a Windows platform: this
seems to me to be exactly the right default.

Calling it an "assumption" may be misleading.  But call it
a "default" and it makes more sense, no?-)

Alex