OT: Ultimate Language Syntax Cleanness Comparison

Jp Calderone exarkun at intarweb.us
Sat Feb 8 22:18:46 CET 2003

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 07:55:35PM -0800, Jeremy Fincher wrote:
> holger krekel <pyth at devel.trillke.net> wrote in message news:<mailman.1044658940.11235.python-list at python.org>...
> > I was actually quite surprised to find out (together with a perl-friend)
> > that there is no easy way to parse perl. All the methods involve
> > evaluating/executing it at the same time.  Cool, isn't it.
>
> That's not true.  Perl *is* compiled to a bytecode format (what do you
> think all the jazz about Parrot is for?)  There's no easy way to lex
> Perl separate from parsing it.  Lexing and parsing Perl code is one in
> the same.  Evaluating it is entirely separate.

  Unless I am mistaken, Parrot will not work for PERL 5.x.  The language
designers have decided that the language is too complex, and are starting
over, from scratch.  Parrot may someday work with PERL 6.x.

  Jp

--
It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to
students that have had prior exposure to BASIC: as potential