Builtin Float Epsilon? (was: Re: Does python suck or I am just stupid? )

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Sun Feb 23 05:45:46 EST 2003

Tim Peters wrote:

> That can be useful in an expert's hands, but for a non-expert I expect
> would
> serve mostly to further confuse an already-garbled view of numeric
> reality.

I agree.  Trying to help here would only exacerbate the problem; a
beginner using floating point is better off learning the cold, hard
facts about its approximations with respect to real numbers and where
they go astray as soon as possible, rather than be given language
constructs that hide them from that truth and lull them into a false
sense of security.

/  \ God is love, but get it in writing.
\__/ Gypsy Rose Lee
    Maths reference / http://www.alcyone.com/max/reference/maths/
 A mathematics reference.