Python's 8-bit cleanness deprecated?

Anders J. Munch andersjm at dancontrol.dk
Wed Feb 5 04:54:53 EST 2003

"Andrew Bennetts" <andrew-pythonlist at puzzling.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 11:03:50AM +0100, Anders J. Munch wrote:
> >
> > Now to define a not-in-comment syntax, that trivial.  Just remove the
> > in-comment part and write, as a statement:
> >
> > -*- coding: Latin-1 -*-
>
> What about:
>     from __encodings__ import -*- coding: Latin-1 -*-
>
> <wink>
>
> the-best-of-both-worlds-ly yrs, -Andrew.

He he.  I'm not sure if you're laughing with me or at me.  In any
case, you should know that I'm dead serious: If
   # -*- coding: Latin-1 -*-
is a good idea then
   -*- coding: Latin-1 -*-
is a better one.

I'm not saying that dash-star-dash is a good idea, I'm not saying that
it isn't.  But whatever we do, the Python interpreter should never
execute the contents of comments.

can-an-encoding-comment-be-commented-out?-ly y'rs, Anders