Python vs. C++ Builder - speed of development

Mongryong Mongryong at sympatico.ca
Mon Feb 3 20:43:05 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-01-31 at 18:39, Brandon Van Every wrote:
> Mongryong wrote:
> > On Fri, 2003-01-31 at 15:52, Nick Vargish wrote:
> >> I didn't take any formal programming courses after High School,
> > Imagine what the world would be like had Bill Gates actually graduated
> > with a Computer Science degree....ah, everybody would have a true
> > Unix-like machine with Python already installed on it...
>
> No, you wouldn't.  People who don't give a crap about degrees get things
> done.  That's why Microsoft is the business juggernaut that it is.  People
> at Microsoft know that technology isn't the dominant component, business is.
> The university guy is Linus Torvaldis.  Linux has the market growth pattern
> of an engineer-centric product.

That explains why Microsoft has been putting out crap.

I just read this article:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/biztech/02/01/microsoft.security.reut/index.html

This article on the 'Slammer' worm suggests we 'switch' to MACS because
of Microsoft's security flaws in its software.

The problem with the business mentally is that it is corrupt and
greedy.  So you get the problems you see with Enron, AOL, Nortel, and
Microsoft.  Innovation is the pursuit of greatness through science and
ethics.  Once the marketing hype is over, people will want substance.
Fortunately, everything will balance itself out in the end (ironically,
an economic principle).