Voting process for PEP 308 (was: PEP 308: Alternative conditional operator forms)

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Wed Feb 12 03:14:41 EST 2003

Jp Calderone wrote:

>   It is his vote, and what he does with it is his business, whether
> you
> think it is "ethical" or not.  I don't see how it has any bearing on
> his
> integrity.

Sure, he can vote any way he wants, but stating your intent to vote
opposite to someone simply out of spite sure doesn't impress me as a
great characteristic.

And mind you, we're not just talking about an individual voter, we're
talking about someone _who is going to be doing the votetaking_ (at
least that seems to be what the community has gravitated towards,
although there's not been much discussion about it).  If he's _that_
tilted against the issue, maybe he shouldn't be the votetaker.

Furthermore, there's a simpler issue here:  I would hope that an
votetaker would abstain (or at least offer to) from any vote he/she was
counting, simply out of basic ethics.

/  \ So look into my eyes / I won't tell you lies
\__/ Neneh Cherry
    HardScience.info / http://www.hardscience.info/
 The best hard science Web sites that the Web has to offer.