ping with python?

Christian Tismer tismer at
Wed Feb 5 16:38:03 CET 2003

Rupert Kolb wrote:
> Jeff Bauer wrote:
>>> This page has
>>> an implementation of ping.
>> In addition to Jeremy's code, Matthew Cowles has also
>> written a Python implementation of ping:
> Thanks for the links.
> Now I have the problem, that both implementations need root permissions
> to execute it under unix.
> (I tried the Net::Ping. There I do not have to be root, to execute a
> ping. And I found no SUID program in the perl installation directory.)

The icmp protocol cannot be used without
root priviledges. See ping for example:

tismer at tismer:~$ ls -la $(which ping)
-rwsr-xr-x    1 root     root        15244 Nov 18  2001 /bin/ping
tismer at tismer:~$

It has the sticky bit set.
The Perl package uses the UDP protocol by default
and doesn't need root access. See

Maybe you could verify that it really doesn't
work without root when specifying the ICMP protocol.

Unfortunately I have no idea how the Python
ping implementations must be changed to support UDP.
I could install and read Net::Ping, but I don't like to.

ciao - chris

Christian Tismer             :^)   <mailto:tismer at>
Johannes-Niemeyer-Weg 9a     :    *Starship*
14109 Berlin                 :     PGP key ->
      whom do you want to sponsor today?