A beginner's question

Robin Munn rmunn at pobox.com
Tue Feb 18 14:50:54 EST 2003

Madhusudan Singh <spammers-go-here at yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Monday 17 February 2003 13:25, Michele Simionato (mis6 at pitt.edu)  held
> forth in comp.lang.python
> (<2259b0e2.0302171025.4c696249 at posting.google.com>):
>
>> Madhusudan Singh <spammers-go-here at yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:<b2p7ch$1csfge$1 at ID-159130.news.dfncis.de>...
>>> OTOH, scigraphica is a stand-alone application that (uses Numerical
>>> Python and pygtk2 for scripting) renders plots. The interactive mode of
>>> operation is impressive since it seems to be a near clone of Origin.
>>> However, I often have lots of plots that need similar processing, and
>>> thought that scripting like gnuplot might be more time-efficient. Hence
>>> my question.
>>
>> The first week I started playing with Python, I used it to generate
>> gnuplot scripts. I found it to be very easy and quite effective; of course
>> you can also use the Gnuplot.py interface (Google is your friend), but if
>> you don't know Python and you now well enough Gnuplot, I think it is
>> easier to generate the gnuplot code directly.
>>

> I guess I did not make myself clear enough.
>
> I know Gnuplot. I prefer Scigraphica. Scripting in Scigraphica needs numpy
> and pygtk. I wish to know how to best do that without having to learn the
> entire Python language (basics etc. obviously need to be learnt).

To learn the Python basics without learning the entire language, I've
found the official Python tutorial to be the best:

    http://www.python.org/doc/current/tut/tut.html

You should be able to go through it in a couple of hours if you have
previous programming experience, and it'll get you up to speed on pretty
much all you need to get started.

When you need a reference to the standard library, use:

    http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/lib.html

Hope this helps.

--
Robin Munn <rmunn at pobox.com>