PEP 308: Pep Update

Gareth McCaughan Gareth.McCaughan at pobox.com
Fri Feb 28 13:47:05 EST 2003

Jp Calderone wrote:

[I said:]
> > I fail to see how adding something to Python can turn it into
> > a dumbed-down language unsuitable for serious programming,
> > no matter how oversimplified or verbose or primitive or
> > otherwise horrible the addition is. All those serious programs
> > already written in Python will go on working just fine if
> > any of the proposed conditional expression forms is introduced.
>
>   Additions to the language affect future use of the language.  Have you
> never had to maintain a piece of software?

You might want to read what I wrote a little more carefully.
I didn't say that adding something to Python couldn't make it
worse; of course it could. I said that it couldn't turn it
into a dumbed-down language unsuitable for serious programming.

There are many ways to make a language worse. Not all of them
can be caused by adding features.

Gareth McCaughan  Gareth.McCaughan at pobox.com
.sig under construc