Running a Tkinter GUI in WIN98 without the useless DOS window?

Jack Crane jdcrane7 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 2 10:51:41 EST 2003

Jack Crane <jdcrane7 at yahoo.com> wrote in
news:Xns93164541F5027jdcrane7yahoocom at 130.133.1.4:

> Lukasz Pankowski <lupan at zamek.gda.pl> wrote in
> news:87ptqayepf.fsf at zamek.gda.pl:
>
>> may be *.pyw files are associated with python.exe (not pythonw.exe)
>> the only reasonable reason I can think of.
>
> That was it! I changed the association, and now grepper.pyw and qs.pyw
> work perfectly by clicking on their icons or shortcuts. No DOS window.
> However, given John Roth's warning, I'll be looking out for Tkinter
> problems in my future Python scripts.
>
> Thanks very much!

Just found this at http://www.python.org/doc/2.2.1/whatsnew/node12.html :

"Files ending in ".pyw" can now be imported on Windows. ".pyw" is a
Windows-only thing, used to indicate that a script needs to be run using
PYTHONW.EXE instead of PYTHON.EXE in order to prevent a DOS console from
popping up to display the output. This patch makes it possible to import
such scripts, in case they're also usable as modules. (Implemented by David
Bolen.)"

Jack Crane