Python's 8-bit cleanness deprecated?

Roman Suzi rnd at onego.ru
Tue Feb 4 00:49:21 EST 2003

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, Brian Quinlan wrote:

>> It's no problem with new scripts. But is there any reason to introduce
>> this useful feature by force? Requiring everyone to add one line to
>> every script they wrote?
>
>Without an explicit declaration, it is impossible to accurately
>determine most encodings. Remember your Python Zen:
>
>	"In the face of ambiguity, refuse the temptation to guess."

There is no ambiguity in raw 8-bit. What if I have no text at all,
just some bytes with value > 127?

Let's make -*- necessary for ASCII as well - and watch at the
reaction of Python users ;)

>The effort required to do that doesn't strike me as significant. How
>many total source files do you have that have non-ASCII characters in
>them?

Probably, 80% of them. (Counting only work-related ones).

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--
rnd at onego.ru =\= My AI powered by Linux RedHat 7.3