PEP 308: Alternative conditional operator forms

Carel Fellinger carel.fellinger at chello.nl
Tue Feb 11 17:53:58 EST 2003

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 08:23:37AM -0800, Dave Brueck wrote:
> Laura, I find your perspective facinating but I still don't quite "get it"
> (please don't think I'm being sarcastic - I'm *really* trying to
> understand you but haven't yet). Can you explain a little more what you
> mean?

I'm no Laura, so I can't explain for here, so I'll add my own musings.

Let's not talk pizza's but Python here.  And let's assume that there
are 100 Python users out there.

When 50 of those are pro and 50 are contra, then Guido has a problem:)
Whatever he decides will upset half the population.

On the otherhand, when 1 is pro and 1 is contra and all the others don't
care, then whatever he decides will be fine with the masses.

In the first case we'd better help him and try to convince the other
party that our view point* is the right one.  In the other case we
might as wel stop now and tell Guido to throw dices instead:)  More
seriously, when the pro's and contra's really are minority groups,
then it's probably best not to add questionable syntactic sugar
to the language.

*) contrary to what some might have deduced from my earlier posts,
   I'm neither pro nor contra.  I would use a better spelling for
   the and/or idiom, but only when it still looked better to me eyes
   after returning to my code after a few weeks.  As it is now, I
   often undo my cunnery and go back to simple if-statements, sometimes
   to find myself redoing the cunnery after/during familiarizing myself
   with the code again.

--
groetjes, carel