XBase wrapper for Python

David Rushby woodsplitter at rocketmail.com
Wed Feb 5 21:47:13 EST 2003

> Skip Montanaro wrote:
> > That just means you have to learn to do a cvs checkout of the project's
> > files.
> >
> > Skip
>
> You are absolutely right, I can't use CVS nowadays. But this is
> quotation from XBase-py site:
> *This Project Has Not Released Any Files*
>
> Nicolay

There are no files even in that project's CVS repository, so performing a
checkout should be pretty easy; just issue the command:
    mkdir xbase-py
and you're done.

Having just delivered perhaps the most inane joke every to (dis)grace this
newsgroup, I'd better make a gesture of contrition.  I happened to encounter
a banking application today that relies on dbase, and I subsequently found
these Python-dbase-related URLs:

http://linux.techass.com/projects/xdb/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xdb/

http://www.fiby.at/dbfpy.html

http://www.sequiter.com/products/Python/

http://cbbrowne.com/info/xbase.html
http://www.e-bachmann.dk/docs/xbase.htm

I didn't investigate any of those seriously, because I was searching out of
curiosity rather than with the intent to actually write a dbase/xbase-based
application in Python.  My not-too-well-researched impression is that when
it comes to Python-dbase modules, there's a lot of hot air and not much
stable code.