PEP-308 a "simplicity-first" alternative

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Fri Feb 14 19:57:18 EST 2003

Steven Taschuk wrote:

> Quoth Erik Max Francis:
>
> > However, the use of the _idiom_ combining the two in order to
> > attempt to
> > the effect of a conditional operator -- `C and x or y' -- is
> > idiomatic,
> > unreadable, and _wrong_.  [...]
> > For that reason, your `C and {x} or y' suggestion is simply more
> > idiomatic and unreadable [...]
>
> Idiomatic != unreadable.  Idiomatic != incomprehensible until
> explained.

I know that.  Hence the use of the conditional _and_ in that sentence.
I wouldn't have said "idiomatic and unreadable" if I thought they were
synonymous; the use of the conjunction indicates that I _don't_ mean the
same thing.

/  \ You win the victory when you yield to friends.
\__/ Sophocles
    Bosskey.net: Quake III Arena / http://www.bosskey.net/q3a/
 A personal guide to Quake III Arena.