PEP 308: A PEP Writer's Experience - CON

Neil Hodgson nhodgson at bigpond.net.au
Sat Feb 8 17:44:14 EST 2003

Michael Chermside:

>      [3c] if condition then val1 else val2

   The "if" appears unnecessary to me.

condition then val1 else val2

   appears unambiguous and doesn't reuse "if". So

text += isPythonic() then "+1" else twice("minus-ungood")

   I haven't reachd +1 on a conditional operator yet but feel it should
either use keywords for all parts (as in the PEP or as above) or punctuation
for all parts like "C ? tV ! fV" or similar. I also prefer maintaining the
if-else ordering (condition, trueValue, falseValue) as that is more familiar
from the Python "if" statement and the C++ ternary operator.

   Neil