Integrate a GUI in a excel sheed

AntonMuhin antonmuhin at sendmail.ru
Tue Feb 18 05:32:54 EST 2003

Alexander Eisenhuth <stacom at stacom-software.de> wrote in message news:<3E512298.5020004 at stacom-software.de>...
> P Brian schrieb:
> > May I ask why you would like to embed a GUI in Excel?
> >
> > If your application is primarily based around a spreadsheet, (ie a helper
> > for accountants) but needs some extra info passed from the spreadsheet into
> > python and back then excel already has a pretty good and easy GUI toolkit.
> > No point in making life hard.
> >
> > If your application is not primarily a spreadsheet, then it might be asked
> > why you want to use excel?
> >
> > What are you trying to do please?
>
> The application is inbetween a db and excel. The app. is extracting data out of the db and processing it in a special way. The results are inserted in a excel spreadsheet and analysed by the user. (excel calculations, graphs , ...)
>
> To setup the "extraction logic" the userer needs a UI, which appearance is quite dynamic. As i told, i want to create the UI-stuff in wxPython. So I could use a "setup-button", that creates a toplevel dialoge, but the entered informations must appear later in excel, so it would be nice if i can embed the whole dialoge in excel
>
> Because I must serve different versions of excel (97 ... xp) and must keep the app. under configuration management (internationalisation, versioning) and have to hold the excel user data (excel calculations, graphs , ...) i want to make the dependencies to VBA as little as possible.
>
> If you think, the easier way to do this is in VBA, feel free to tell me your thoughts.
>
> regards
> Alexander

I would suggest to approaches:

1. Write a stand-alone Python application and use Excel COM interfaces
to build your Excel workbooks.

2. Create Excel .xml to be exported into Excel (but I'm afraid that
this XML is supported by Office XP only :(

Actually, I see no way to embed wxPython in Excel more or leass
simply, if you find any (or somebofy can suggest), please, let me
know, because I'm really interested.

HTH,
Anton.