How can I call a dll "inside" another process?

Nomad nomad*** at ***freemail.absa.co.za
Tue Feb 18 08:32:02 EST 2003

On Sun, 16 Feb 2003 13:48:39 +0100, Alex Martelli <aleaxit at yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Nomad wrote:
>> Yeah, the trouble is that I want to cross the process boundary.  Mike
>> Basically, all I need initially is to call a couple of "remote"
>> functions and get back the results -- nothing too complex.  I just
>> need a little guidance to boot me off in the right direction ;-)
>>
>> TIA for any URLs and pointers.
>
>Jeffrey Richter, Advanced Windows, Third Edition (Microsoft Press, 1997,
>ISBN 1- 572-31548-2)
>
>This IS an advanced text -- you need to understand Windows programming
>pretty well before you tackle it, if you want to really profit from it.
>("nothing too complex", *HAH* -- this SHOWS you have a way to go...: in
>Win32 API-level programming, *EVERYTHING* is "too complex"!!!).  It's
>also an excellent text; entirely focused on C/C++ usage, but once you
>do get the concepts, using them in Python (with win32all or calldll and
>the like) is also quite feasible.
>
>Alex

Thanks for the reference, but getting hold of a copy in SA might be
tough :-(

I had a sneaking suspicion that, while the idea was "nothing too
complex", the implementation would likely be anything but...

Anyway, I'm sure it'll be a good learning experience.

As for the python (client) side of things, is there a plain RPC module
(I've looked through the docs, but nothing "sprang out" as being an
RPC implementation), or should I build a small custom extension for
the client side?

--
Nomad

Wondering of the vast emptyness of the 'net
in search of something cool.