Finding WS and other modules (was Re: Newbie: problem with own module)

Lexy Zhitenev zhitenev at cs.vsu.ru
Sat Feb 22 05:27:19 EST 2003

> 1. I assumed it's a module (since you're importing it). From the thread,

It may also be a package.

> I'm assuming it's not one that Matthias Stern wrote himself...

<wink>

> 3. Googling on comp.lang.python* returns this thread and a 1998 post from
> timbot re ws.py (which seems to have something to do with indentation -
> but since it's not the same case as WS.py, I'm assuming that's not it)

It may be the same on Windows, where file names are not case-sensitive.

> So - I'm back here hoping for enlightenment, or at least an answer to my
> question: What's WS? More importantly, besides asking ya'll here, is
> there a better way for me to find out?  What am I missing? I'm not so much
> concerned about WS itself (although now I'm seriously piqued about about
> it) as the process of finding modules that get referred to here on c.l.py
> so I'm not constantly having to poke my head in and say "Hey, what's
that?"...

Don't stick on it. WS may be Windows Sockets or whatever in the world.
Matthias may have written it himself.

As for finding the modules you import, study 'sys.modules' contents when you
come across an unknown module. You have to know what packages are installed
on your computer. At least, try to debug it step by step and see where the
debugger leads you.

If this concerns someone else's modules he _should_ have mentioned the
packages he uses. No one can know everything, all you can do is just surf
and look for various Python resources. If your occupation is, say, sound
processing, you really don't have to know anything about databases.

Just don't stick on it.

Lexy