float / double support in Python?

Brandon Van Every vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com
Thu Feb 6 23:13:12 EST 2003

Richard Jones wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Feb 2003 10:46 am, Brandon Van Every wrote:
>> Terry Reedy wrote:
>>> Python proper only uses 'floats' which (for CPython) are 8 byte C
>>> doubles.
>>
>> Um, that's like, absolutely brain-dead to a 3D game developer.
>
> What exactly do you hope to achieve by making a statement like this?

I hope to - rather I have - introduced a statement of fact about a
particular problem domain.  For instance, DirectX Graphics only takes 4-byte
floats.  I have no interest in using 8-byte doubles for my game code.  Aside
from API compatibility issues, it's piggish in terms of both space and time.

> Where did you hope to go by out-and-out
> abusing the people who are trying to help you out?

It's not abuse of the original poster.  He didn't promise me anything about
my problem domain.  If you want to say I'm abusing the language authors,
fine.  I see no other way to criticize a language.  I think you're being too
sensitive.

What I'd like to know:
- does Numeric Python remedy this deficiency?
- if not, will this deficiency likely ever be remedied?  when?

20% of the world is real.