str % vals -like idea but for statements

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Thu Feb 13 18:13:08 EST 2003

Michael Hudson wrote:

> Erik Max Francis <max at alcyone.com> writes:
>
> > Andrew Koenig wrote:

[attribution lost here]

> > > It's (T1, T2) -> union(T1, T2)
> >
> > If we want to be completely anal, shouldn't it be
> >
> >       T1 x T2 -> T1 U T2
> >
> > where x is the Cartesian product and U is the set union operator?
> > :-)
> >
> > Your left hand side there is just an ordered pair of sets, rather
> > than a
> > set of ordered pairs :-).
>
> You could make it T x T -> T if you meant T in the common lisp sense
> of "all types" -- which probably makes most sense.

If you'll look back through the attributions, Andrew was already
clarifying that distinction (it's not T x T -> T, since the resultant
type cannot be _any_ type, but can only be one of the two types that was
involved on the left hand side of the mapping.

/  \ Sentimentality is a superstructure covering brutality.
\__/ C.G. Jung
    Esperanto reference / http://www.alcyone.com/max/lang/esperanto/
 An Esperanto reference for English speakers.