PEP 308 vote type (was Re: Update to PEP308: if-then-else expression)

Andrew Koenig ark at research.att.com
Tue Feb 11 12:31:01 EST 2003

Aahz> In article <yu994r7aream.fsf at europa.research.att.com>,
Aahz> Andrew Koenig  <ark at research.att.com> wrote:

Aahz> If I run the voting, and it's a straight "pick between these
Aahz> alternatives" vote, I'll probably use Condorcet.  OTOH, after taking a
Aahz> quick look at more web pages, approval voting is easier, so maybe I'll
Aahz> use that instead.  <shrug>

>> By approval voting, I assume you mean allowing people to vote for as
>> many alternatives as they like.  In which case I'm strongly in favor
>> of the idea; I posted another note in this discussion explaining why.

Aahz> That's almost correct.  "Approval voting" as a term applies to a system
Aahz> where one can vote YES/NO/ABSTAIN on each of several items.

That's not what I see in http://www.electionmethods.org/approved.htm
Could it be that people are using the same term to denote two
different ideas?

Aahz> Condorcet is one of a series of ranking systems, where one
Aahz> lists items in the order in which one prefers them.  The problem
Aahz> with all the ranking systems that I've seen is that there is no
Aahz> way to directly indicate disapproval.

Sure there is -- just arrange for "no change" to be one of the
alternatives.  If someone votes for "no change" and nothing else,
that directly indicates disapproval.

--
Andrew Koenig, ark at research.att.com, http://www.research.att.com/info/ark