Reboot windows when nobody logged in

Lukas Kubin kubin at opf.slu.cz
Fri Feb 14 02:45:23 EST 2003

Thank you for your reply.
My code works fine when anybody is logged on. But it doesn't when there's
the login window of Novell. Then I send the signal, nothing happens; I log
in or just (!) press Esc and it reboots.
I know almost nothing about Windows programming. So WMI says nothing to
me. Could you please let me know more about it? How to call that
reboot method? Do you mean I should not use ExitWindowsEx() ?
Thanks.

lukas

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Alex K. Angelopoulos wrote:

> In addition to your comments, Lukas -
>
> I've successfully implemented code which reboots XP using the ExitWindowsEx
> function after performing token adjustment.  Based on your description, I would
> try testing it while logged on interactively.
>
> Why?
>
> This will tell us whether the problem is technical details of method you are
> using to call it (in which case it will fail there), or related to
> environment/privileges of the account running it when no one is logged on.
>
> By the way, if it makes a difference, you don't need any of this with 2000/XP to
> perform a remote reboot.  You can use WMI, which is accessible to Python, and
> call the Reboot Method in class Win32_OperatingSystem.
>
> Depending on your situation, this might be a feasible solution.
>
> --
>
> "Lukas Kubin" <kubin at opf.slu.cz> wrote in message
> news:Pine.LNX.4.44.0302130829010.14458-100000 at x.opf.slu.cz...

- --
Lukas Kubin

phone: +420696398285
email: kubin at opf.slu.cz

Information centre
The School of Business Administration in Karvina
Silesian University in Opava
Czech Republic
http://www.opf.slu.cz