OO patterns with Python

David M. Cook davecook at nowhere.net
Mon Feb 10 17:28:58 EST 2003

In article <3e4800b2_2 at news.vo.lu>, Patrick Useldinger wrote:

> My understanding is that OO is not that trivial, and that patterns have been
> created as template solutions for common or difficult problems. As there
> seems to be no specific book on patterns with Python, can anybody recommend
> a book or a URL on patters which is language-independant, so that I do not
> have to learn C++, Java or whatever first?

Design Patterns Explained is a very good intro to patterns, but gives
examples in Java and C++. However, I think a casual understanding of Java is
adequate for the examples.  It does assume some basic familiarity with OO
concepts but is not jargon-filled.

(Amazon links provided for reference only.)

A good introductory text on OO is by Timothy Budd:

I've never understood why people recommend Meyer's big OOSC book.  I've
never found that book particularly useful or helpful.

It would be cool to have a book like _Design Patterns Java Workbook_ for
Python.

Do avoid the book _Python Programming Patterns_.  An inaccurate title and a
big disappointment.

Dave Cook