Python's 8-bit cleanness deprecated?

Mike Romberg romberg at smaug.fsl.noaa.gov
Mon Feb 10 17:37:00 EST 2003

     > Roman Suzi wrote:
    >> I've made some summary again (please correct me if I
    >> misunderstood):

     > I'm fine with the PEP except that it should treat the default
     > encoding as utf-8, not ascii.

     > The Internet, like the rest of the world, is transitioning to
     > untagged utf-8 so we don't have to deal with this character set
     > mess. Python should too.

  I agree.  I'm working on a project which allows users to extend our
application by writing python scripts.  I fear the reaction we will
get (and the support nightmare) when we have to tell them they need to
mark all of their files with a default encoding.  To break old code
like this, seems like something that would be done in a python 3.x
type release.  To me it is a major change.  I see nothing wrong with
allowing the default mentioned above.

Mike Romberg