PEP 308: Alternative conditional operator forms

James J. Besemer jb at
Tue Feb 11 03:17:08 CET 2003

Erik Max Francis wrote:
> "James J. Besemer" wrote:
>>I have no objection to "straw man" votes, so long as they do not end
>>the debate.
> I'm not familiar with that term in this context.  Did you mean "straw
> poll"?

 From my experience many, many years ago on the ANSI X3J11 standards
committee, when discussing new features, the leaders called for non-binding
"straw votes" frequently to help move the discussion forward.  It's a way to
quickly table identifiable dead-ends and help pare down otherwise impossible
lists of alternatives.

James J. Besemer		503-280-0838 voice
2727 NE Skidmore St.		503-280-0375 fax
Portland, Oregon 97211-6557	mailto:jb at