odbc_installer / calldll: infinite loop encountered

David dlashar at sprynet.com
Thu Feb 6 08:41:51 EST 2003

> Would it be a good idea to port the odbc stuff from calldll to ctypes?
> I would try to give all support I can, but I cannot do it alone.

As noted in a separate but related posting, I am brand new to this technique
of making C calls via Python.  But, yes, that's precisely what I'm seeking
to do... and it's only a few methods on seemingly a single dll that need to
be called in order to make a DSN entry.  I'm not by any means certain (this
is terra incognita for me!), but it seems that it's odbccp32.dll that
exposes the necessary methods, which seem to be SQLConfigDataSource,
SQLInstallDriverEx, and SQLConfigDriver.  Details for the genuinely
knowledgeable are in the ODBC Programmer's Reference:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/odbc/htm/da
sdkodbcoverview_whatsnew.asp.

Hope that helps, i.e., clarifies the need.  And apologies if this is too
Win-related.  I'm just trying to put as much of my app in Python as I can.
Thanks,

    David