declaration of variables?

André Jonsson tatsujin at spamgoeshere.despammed.om
Sun Feb 16 17:40:11 EST 2003

Laura Creighton wrote:
> Am I understanding you correctly?  You don't want to bind a variable
> to a specific type, and you want to be able to rebind a variable at
> will to any other type, but you want a language change so that the
> first time you bind a variable, you have to type something extra
> indicating 'yes I know this is the first time I have used this
> variable?'  If so, what does this buy you aside from catching typos?

Now, hold your horses there... I'm pretty sure I didn't say I wanted anything, other
than understanding.

My original point was that I like having to be forced (hm, that didn't sound right)
to declare variables before I use them, nothing more nothing less. The other-type
rebind you stated wasn't really the point, just a clarification I tried to make about
the variable declaration need not be type-restricted, if it was ever added  to Python
(which, I see now, is highly doubtful).

Thanks all for trying to "convert me", but I think I got it now, and I'll try to
improve on the unit-test side in the future  :-)

/André