PEP 308: Pep Update

Robin Becker robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk
Fri Feb 28 04:02:01 EST 2003

In article <slrnb5t590.2ng3.Gareth.McCaughan at g.local>, Gareth McCaughan
<Gareth.McCaughan at pobox.com> writes
>Robin Becker wrote:
>
>> If we base everything on a 12 year old's understanding/ability we'll get
>> a dumbed down language which is unsuitable for serious programming.
>
>I fail to see how adding something to Python can turn it into
>a dumbed-down language unsuitable for serious programming,
>no matter how oversimplified or verbose or primitive or
>otherwise horrible the addition is. All those serious programs
>already written in Python will go on working just fine if
>any of the proposed conditional expression forms is introduced.

I'm not claiming that adding any particular scheme/addition is doing
that. I claim that those who base their arguments on teachability to
non-programmers may be doing that. Many don't like lambda, map etc
because they are hard to teach/understand, the argument is then made
that such constructs should be deprecated and finally removed despite
the fact that they are useful in some circumstances.
--
Robin Becker