Voting for PEP 308 (was Re: For review: PEP 308 - If-then-else expression)

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Sun Feb 9 15:16:10 EST 2003

Laura Creighton wrote:

> This is the logical order for people like you who want a ternary
> conditional that they will take whatever they can get, however ugly.
> The most important thing is getting it in, as long as it is not
> unreadable.  It also is an order that suits the people who are opposed
> at any price.

I already drew the analogy between the conditional operator and the
addition of Booleans.  I don't particularly care what the Boolean type
is named, or what the true and false "constants" are called, as long as
they're not dumb.  bool, True, and False (respectively) seemed the most
sensible choices -- and there happened to be a great deal of consensus
-- but I would have been happy to settle for Boolean, TRUE, and FALSE if
that had been the decision.

The point is, I trust Guido to choose a spelling, syntax, etc. that
works.  I just want the functionality.  Quite on the contrary, it's the
opposite of wanting something at any price; it's the case of having
faith in the BDFL to choose something appropriate should he decide to
add it.

/  \ Life is an effort that deserves a better cause.
\__/ Karl Kraus
    Alcyone Systems / http://www.alcyone.com/
 Alcyone Systems, San Jose, California.