3D graphics programmers using Python?

Bjorn Pettersen BPettersen at NAREX.com
Thu Feb 6 18:00:30 EST 2003

> From: Mark Hammond [mailto:mhammond at skippinet.com.au]
[...]
> I am sure you  appreciate you are not  the only C++ coder  on this
newsgroup.
> You can  probably even  appreciate that  some of  these people  may be
highly
> skilled  C++  developers.   I  believe  you  will  find  that  none
of these
> developers use Python exclusively.  Skilled C++ developers do not turn
their
> backs on C++ when they start using Python - in much the same way a
carpenter
> doesn't turn his  back on his  hammer once he  gets a screwdriver.
Each has
> strengths, but by limiting yourself  to a single language/tool, you
are also
> limiting yourself to its weaknesses.
[...]

Just to reiterate what Mark said :-) There are times and places where
C++ is the right tool, although it is usually not (as many people seem
to assume) because Python is slower than C++ (people are generally wrong
when they talk about performance <wink>). Most of the time when I use
C++ it's either because after having done a proof of correctness,
writing the code is such a small factor; I've allready got a 150Kloc C++
library that solves a part of the problem fast and _correct_; or my code
has to be used by other people who have to code in C++.

-- bjorn
(in case you care, I've done C++ since '89 and been a representative to
the ISO Commitee; I've done Python since '97).