Why use Python instead of Perl?

Laura Creighton lac at strakt.com
Wed Feb 5 10:15:59 EST 2003

> I am learning some perl, I don't know any python. I think perl is a
> butt-ugly language, but perl does seem to be functional. Can anybody
> answer a few questions about python for me?
>
> 1) Is python good for system administration tasks?

yes.

> 2) Is python good for web development?

yes.

> 3) Does python interact well with MySQL?

yes.

> 4) Do many web-hosts allow scripts to be written in python? Tons of
> dirt-cheap web-hosts have perl scripting, what about python?

Depends on your defintion of 'many'.   Here are some.  This is far
from all of them.  When you find more, let us know.
http://www.python.org/hosting/

> 5) If I know perl, is there any reason to learn python?

You mean aside from getting away from a language you call 'butt-ugly'?
Yes, python programs are easier to maintain, and understand.  Plus
programming in Python is fun.  If it has been a while since programming
has been fun, please try it.  Also this is a really excellent newsgroup
full of really helpful people.

> 6) For what is python best suited?

Pretty much anything that doesn't have 'blazingly fast execution
speed' as part of its requirements.  I wouldn't want to write an operating
system in it.  But anything that you want a high level OO language
for, Python is good for.  Also, if you have a speed requirement, it
is straightforward to code the lot in python and then build a C++
extension that does the tiny bit of code you have that has to run
like the proverbial bat...

> I have programmed in over a dozen languages. I am reluctant to learn
> more. I have been learning perl, because it seems to be the only
> language that does all that stuff I have mentioned in my questions.

Anybody who has the reaction 'perl is butt-ugly' belongs here.  By the
way, lots of people who already know other languages think 'wow,
Python is like <whatever language is my favourite>' while they are
learning Python.  <Which language> varies a _lot_.  Let us know if it
happens to you.

welcome, good luck,
Laura Creighton

ps - http://www.python.org/doc/current/tut/tut.html