Attitude about new keywords

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Tue Feb 11 03:10:03 EST 2003

Evan wrote:

> I may well be in the minority, here, but I see this as a benefit.  As
> long as attempts at using the first form are met with a SyntaxError
> that
> tells you exactly what you need to do, the only cost is having to type
> two more characters.  Sooner or later, though, 'f' is going to grow
> another parameter, and then it's:
>
> f(if C: x else: y, z) vs. f((if C: x else: y), z)

I'm not seeing the downside of this eventuality.  If you want to
parenthesize the conditional operator to make it clearer, more power to
you.  But that's an entirely different thing from _requiring_ it.

> Also, consider the one-tuple:
>
> (if C: x else: y,) vs. ((if C: x else: y),)

Same thing here.

/  \ I always entertain great hopes.
\__/ Robert Frost
    REALpolitik / http://www.realpolitik.com/
 Get your own customized newsfeed online in realtime ... for free!